Now that it’s almost time to go back to school, here are a few tips for first-time parents and all parents:
- Remember to write your child’s name on all their belongings and yes if possible their jackets too.
- Get them to bed a little early, so they can settle in, and wake them up a little early. Younger children need a little extra time.
- Use positive words when dropping them off like looking forward to you having a great day or let us make a new friend today. Kids need positive reinforcement.
- Plan on arriving a little early on the first day of school. Walk a little with your child to help them feel at ease.
- Give them a hug, let them know you love them, and leave quickly.
- Let them help you pack their snack. If possible, do it the night before.
- Use easy-to-open containers.
- Always be on time to pick up your child.
- Make time to pick up your child.
- Talk to them on your way back. Ask them how their day went.
- Have a daily routine and follow it.
- Remember you are the one that can guide your child as you know them the best.